Thursday, February 4, 2010

HP4550DN - Paper Jam Middle Draw - false message. Help?

I have a networked Hewlett Packard HP4550DN printer. It keeps reporting a paper jam in the middle drawer. I have examined it and found no paper. I have vacuumed up any toner in case that is the cause. I have also inspected the fuser area around the back. No trace of paper.





Does anyone have a clue as to what I can check next or what might be causing the errors? I have been in contact with HP but the matter continues.HP4550DN - Paper Jam Middle Draw - false message. Help?
Most HP printer will give a ';Paper Jam'; error for a drawer if the printer is unable to pick the paper up and feed it. (I know - should say something like ';Can't feed'; - not ';paper jam';, but I don't write the error message) :-P





Usual cause of that is that one (or more) of the pick up rollers has worn down and needs to be replaced. I don't have any of the 4550 a this site (4500, but no 4550), so I can't tell you the exact location of the roller, but it is usually about 3/4'; in diameter and about 1 1/2'; to 2'; long. Slides over a pin in the body of the printer above the paper tray.





If you have multiple trays, there is probably an identical roller above each of the trays. You might try seeing if you can swap the roller with one from another tray. If the error moves with the roller, you have found the problem.





I have also seen ';cheap paper'; cause the problem. As it sounds like that has been on-going, the paper in the tray has probably been replaced or replenished - but it can't hurt to suggest replacing it.





Best guesses I have...





Good luckHP4550DN - Paper Jam Middle Draw - false message. Help?
Hi there!!





I have had some similar problems here at work with our 4500n printer. I had to call for a service man.. The problem was some parts inside our printer that was worn out..
There may be a small piece of paper stuck somewhere in the paper path. There may also be a buildup of toner and paper dust somewhere. These printers need to be cleaned once in a while by taking them apart. We used Technology Unlimited in Seattle and they did a great job. Good luck!
The sensor that detects the paper jam is probably defective, and might need replacing. This is a common problem. You should probably call for a repair person to take a look at it.
it might not help but try the other drawers as well and try to look if there is another way to open the printer to find jammed paper (in your hp help on your comp-there should be help on how to release jammed paper on mine there was a back openning i didn't know about and there it was)
I get the paper jam message now and then. Often it is because the paper in my input tray is not feeding properly for some reason, or I forgot to load it.
  • windows web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment